Recipe by Ambervim
Having a bilimbi in he yard, I am on the lookout for recipes. This is varied from one by Chef Paul Heerlein.
- 4 ounces mushrooms, diced (Original recipe Hamakua, Pioppini, Alii or your favorite)
- 1 shallot, minced (onion will do...just use 1/4 cup)
- 1 garlic clove, sliced thinly
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- 25 ounces chicken broth
- 2 ounces bilimbi juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 egg, whipped with 1 tablespoon of water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a pot sauté the mushrooms with a little vegetable oil for about 4 minute while stirring.
- Add the shallots and garlic and continue to cook over moderate heat for another 1 minute.
- Add salt, pepper and broth then bring to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat and add the bilimbi, soy and sesame oil.
- Stir in the egg and adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Serving size is 5 oz.