Recipe by urbangeisha
Light and refreshing savoury soup - perfect accompaniment to Thai curries and best served with hot steamed rice.
- 4 coriander roots (scraped)
- 4 stalks lemongrass, white parts only
- 1 teaspoon asafoetida powder (yellow)
- 2 small fresh hot red chili peppers, chopped
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, blanched, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups mushrooms, chopped coarsely
- 400 g tofu, firm pressed, cut into 2 . 5cm pieces
- 1 bunch sorrel, torn
- 2 small hot red chili peppers, extra, sliced diagonally
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice
- 2⁄3 cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 4 liters water
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 1 cup cabbage, sliced
- 1 cup white radish, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine 4 litres water; 1 cup carrots, sliced; 1 cup cabbage, sliced; 1/2 cup celery stalks, sliced; 1 cup white radish, sliced; and 1.5 tsp salt in a saucepan and boil for 1 hour, or until the liquid has reduced by half.
- Strain, and set aside.
- Pound the coriander roots, lemongrass, asafetida and chili to a rough paste using mortar and pestle. Alternatively, process in a blender with a few drops of water.
- Boil the vegetable stock in a saucepan over full heat. Drop in the kaffir lime leaves, mushroom, and tomato and cook for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add the spice paste, reduce the heat to a simmer, add the tofu and sorrel and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Serve: Divide the extra chili, the soy sauce, lime juice and chopped coriander into large deep serving bowls and pour the boiling soup over. Serve with hot steamed rice.