Recipe by Bergy
There are a lot of Hot & Sour soups here on Recipezaar but I couldn't find one quite like this. It is from a Bon Appetit "Tastes of the world" cookbook I will be making it soon and will add to the introduction
Top Review by natalena M.
I have made this for years, a family favorite. Sometimes we add barley and use fresh shiitake mushrooms. we always add a bit more water and vinegar. really you can play with this recipe and it is always good
- 4 cups canned low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 ounces dried shiitake mushrooms
- 5 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons oriental sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons peeled minced fresh ginger
- 10 1⁄2 ounces extra firm tofu, cut into 1/4 ' dice
- 1 ounce cellophane rice noodles or 1 ounce angel hair pasta, broken in half
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine broth and mushrooms. let stand until mushrooms soften apprx 20 minutes.
- Remove mushrooms from the broth and squeeze over the bowl with the broth.
- Discard mushroom stems: thinly slice caps.
- Combine vinegar & cornstarch, stir to blend,.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan, add ginger, saute 30 seconds.
- Pour in the reserved broth.
- Bring to boil.
- Add tofu, noodles, soy sauce, red chili flakes, sugar & mushrooms.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- Add cornstarch mixture, stir until slightly thickened apprx 1 minute.