Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This is a wonderful Chinese recipe for a really GREAT soup.
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 cup diced tofu (bean curd)
- 1 cup sliced green onion (scallions, 2 bunches)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- dried wood ear mushrooms (1 1/2 oz.)
- 3⁄4 cup dried lily buds
- 1⁄4 lb lean pork, cut into matchstick strips
- 1⁄4 cup bamboo shoot, cut into matchstick strips
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 tablespoons rice or 4 tablespoons white vinegar
- 4 teaspoons pure sesame oil
- 1⁄16 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or less)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- In a large bowl soak the dried woodear mushrooms in hot water at least 1 hour or until soft.
- In a 2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat, heat broth, pork, bamboo shoots, softened woodear mushrooms, dried lily buds, tofu and green onions.
- In a small cup blend the cornstarch smoothly with water.
- Gradually stir the cornstarch mixture into the broth mixture. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly until mixture thickens slightly.
- Remove from heat.
- Slowly pour the beaten eggs into the soup, while stirring gently in one direction.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients before serving.