1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Bursting with all the flavor counterpoints Thai cuisine has to offer-the pungency of chiles, the sourness of lime, the aromatic taste of lemongrass and basil, and the clean, slightly camphorous bite of fresh galangal -- this soup undoubtedly has a medicinal as well as a culinary history. It's good and good for you, a low-calorie, meal-in-a-bowl noodle soup that will nourish your body and ward off your cold. From Big Bowl Noodles and Rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces dried rice noodles (flat, fettuccine-shaped)
- 1 lb medium shrimp
- 3 drops sesame oil
- 2 quarts chicken stock, preferably fresh
- 6 thin slices fresh galangal or 6 fresh ginger
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 stalks lemongrass (bottom third only, sliced thinly on the bias)
- 5 shallots, sliced
- 4 small green serrano chili peppers, coarsely shredded including seeds
- 1/4 cup Thai fish sauce or 1/4 cup vietnamese fish sauce
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup whole fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup lightly chopped asian basil leaves
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1Soak the noodles in hot water to cover and let stand, about 30 minutes, until soft.
- 2Peel the shrimp, reserving the shells.
- 3Cut them in half lengthwise, then toss with 1/4 teaspoon salt and the sesame oil, and refrigerate.
- 4Bring the stock to a boil with the galangal, garlic, and lemongrass.
- 5Turn the heat to low and simmer for 35 minutes.
- 6Add the shrimp shells and simmer for another 15 to 20 minutes, skimming if necessary.
- 7Strain the stock and bring to a boil.
- 8Turn heat to low and simmer with the shallots and chiles.
- 9Simmer for 15 minutes and add 2 teaspoons of salt, the fish sauce, and the sugar.
- 10Continue to simmer.
- 11Meanwhile, drain the noodles well and divide among four to eight bowls.
- 12Then add the shrimp to the simmering broth.
- 13Turn off the heat and stir in the fresh herbs and lime juice.
- 14Divide the soup among the soup bowls, sprinkle over the black pepper, and serve.
- 15Makes 4 main dish or 8 small servings.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hot & Sour Shrimp Soup With Noodles and Thai Herbs
Serving Size: 1 (731 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 535.3
- Calories from Fat 90
- Total Fat 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 157.6 mg
- Sodium 2850.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 11.7 g
- Protein 31.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
serrano chili peppers