Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Here's a quick, easy to make Chinese soup with enough kick to clear your sinuses.
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 lb mushroom, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup bamboo shoot
- 3⁄4 inch gingerroot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb chicken, cubed
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 egg
- Bring the stock, water, mushrooms, bamboo, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, and red pepper to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Toss the chicken with sesame oil.
- Blend the vinegar with corn starch.
- Beat the egg.
- Return broth to a boil and add chicken.
- While stirring briskly, slowly add the beaten egg.
- Add the vinegar and cornstarch mixture, and boil until the chicken is cooked (5-8 minutes).
- Stir in the scallions and sprinkle with cilantro immediately before serving.
This soup is what I usually cook when a family member has colds. You won't believe just how comfortable a sick person feels after a bowl of this hot soup.