Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
In 'The Glory of Southern Cooking' by James Villas
- 8 tablespoons butter, plus
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 lb fresh mushrooms, stems trimmed and caps finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons mild paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- cayenne pepper, a dash
- 1⁄2 lb fresh lump crabmeat, picked over for shells and cartilage
- 1⁄2 lb shelled cooked shrimp, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- In a small skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat; add in mushrooms and stir until tender,.
- about 5 minutes; remove pan from the heat.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the remaining 7 tablespoons butter over medium heat; add in the flour and.
- whisk constantly until the mixture is thickened and smooth.
- Add the paprika, pepper, and salt; whisk until well blended.
- Remove pan from the heat; add the sherry, Worcestershire, and cayenne; stir well.
- Fold in the crabmeat, shrimp, mushrooms, mixing gently but well.
- Add the parsley , stir to blend; heat gently over low heat.
- Transfer the dip to a small chafing dish and serve hot with Melba toast rounds.