Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
In 'The Glory of Southern Cooking' by James Villas
Make and share this Hot Shrimp and Crab Dip recipe from Food.com.
- 8 tablespoons butter, plus
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 lb fresh mushrooms, stems trimmed and caps finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons mild paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- cayenne pepper, a dash
- 1⁄2 lb fresh lump crabmeat, picked over for shells and cartilage
- 1⁄2 lb shelled cooked shrimp, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- In a small skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat; add in mushrooms and stir until tender,.
- about 5 minutes; remove pan from the heat.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the remaining 7 tablespoons butter over medium heat; add in the flour and.
- whisk constantly until the mixture is thickened and smooth.
- Add the paprika, pepper, and salt; whisk until well blended.
- Remove pan from the heat; add the sherry, Worcestershire, and cayenne; stir well.
- Fold in the crabmeat, shrimp, mushrooms, mixing gently but well.
- Add the parsley , stir to blend; heat gently over low heat.
- Transfer the dip to a small chafing dish and serve hot with Melba toast rounds.