Recipe by Olha
This is the most special of Sardi’s first courses, a dish that is their own invention. This recipe has Sardi’s meat sauce. This makes 6 cups but you can freeze what you don’t use for the shrimp. This sauce is excellent just as it is, served on spaghetti or any of the pastas.
HOT SHRIMP(use 1 cup meat sauce)
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 garlic clove
- 12 medium shrimp
- 2 slices bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 lb ground veal
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 onion, ground
- 1⁄4 lb mushroom, ground (4 medium)
- 3 garlic cloves, ground
- 4 cups canned tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR HOT SHRIMP A LA SARDI: Preheat oven to hot 400°F.
- Poach: 12 medium shrimp in simmering water for 5 minutes. Drain and remove shells and dark vein running down backs. Set aside.
- FOR THE SAUCE: Heat: 1 cup Sardi’s meat sauce and 1/2 cup dry white wine. Stir in: 1 clove garlic, minced.
- Trim the crusts from: 2 slices bread and cut into triangle halves. Saute until golden in: 1 Tablespoon butter to which has been added: 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic.
- Take 2 individual au gratin dishes. Place 6 cooked shrimp in each and cover with hot sauce. Arrange 2 garlic croutons like wings in center of dish and heat in hot oven for 10 minutes, or until sauce is very hot and bubbly. Serve immediately. Serves 2.
- FOR SARDI’S MEAT SAUCE: Preheat oven to 350°F
- Mix: 1 pound ground beef and 1/4 pound ground veal. Spread meat in a baking pan and cook in the moderate oven for 20 minutes. Stir and continue to cook for 10 minutes longer.
- In a saucepan combine: 1/4 teaspoon sage, 1/4 teaspoon oregano, 1 Tablespoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 1 onion, ground, 1/4 pound mushrooms, ground, and 3 cloves garlic, ground. Heat, stirring, on top of stove.
- Spread over meat and continue to cook in oven for 15 minutes longer.
- Remove meat mixture from oven and transfer to a large saucepan.
- Add: 4 cups canned tomatoes, 1 cup tomato puree, and 1/2 cup tomato paste. Mix well, bring to a boil, and simmer for 1 1/4 hours. Correct seasoning with salt, cool, and store in refrigerator, where it will keep for at least a week, or in freezer. Reheat when needed.
- A Treasury Of Great Recipes by Mary and Vincent Price.