Recipe by Paella Pete
A hot sauce that you can use for dipping or adding heat to food. Quick and easy to make this slightly sweet and sour sauce has rich mango flavour and bite with chilli peppers and mustard. Very hot, very tasty - has superb flavour as well as heat.
- 15 scotch bonnet peppers
- 1 ripe mango
- 1⁄2 cup mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground star anise
Directions See How It's Made
- Carefully wash the scotch bonnet pepper and remove the stalks. Be careful not to rub your eyes!
- Peel the mango and remove seed.
- Steam the chillies for 6 minutes then place into blender with all other ingredients and blend well.
- If the sauce looks a little too thick for you liking add a little more white wine vinegar.
- After blending transfer into a small saucepan bring to boil and simmer gently for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer the sauce into sterilised container and seal.
- Should keep for a few months in the fridge.