Recipe by Sam's Mom
These are a hit at our house when the hubby is frying hot wings for our guests. They fry up crispy and only take a few minutes in the hot oil. It will keep your guests satisfied till the wings are done. You can make them up a couple hours in advance and keep in frig covered in saran with a damp dish towl over that. I lay mine out on a cookie sheet pan. Hope you enjoy
- 1 lb hot sausage
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely diced
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 (16 ounce) jar Cheese Whiz
- 1 (12 ounce) package wonton wrappers
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown sausage, bell pepper and onion. Crumble sausage into small pieces.
- Add garlic and cook a couple minutes so it doesn't burn.
- Drain any grease from sausage onto paper towels.
- Return sausage to warm skillet and add Cheese Whiz. Stir till the cheese incorporates into sausage.
- At this point the mixture can be refrigerated till next day.
- Cool sausage and and turn on your deep fryer. Set temp to what you would fry french fries inches.
- Lay wonton wrappers out on counter. Put a teaspoon of filling on each one, moisten edge of wrapper with water (this is your 'glue') and fold one end over to make a triangle and seal.
- I lay mine on a cookie sheet lined with plastic wrap.
- You need to work sort of quickly so the wontons don't dry out. Cover with another layer of plastic wrap and a damp dish towel to keep them moist and sealed up.
- When all assembled, fry a few at a time in your hot oil for 2-3 minutes. All you need to do is crisp up the wonton and heat filling because the sausage is already cooked.