1/3 Photos of Hot Sausage and Mozzarella Roll
1 hr 10 mins
This is, hands-down, my favourite dish in my whole life! I can't pin point why, it just is. I used to love watching Mom prepare the dough. She can really work wonders with yeast dough. I eat mine with ketchup on top. This could easily be altered to fit into any ones tastes: Use your favourite sausages, add spices to the meat, add spices to the dough, sprinkle spices on top of the dough... endless opportunities! **Plan ahead, the sausage needs to cool. Chilling time for the sausage is not included.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs pizza dough (thawed if frozen) or 2 lbs bread dough (thawed if frozen)
- 1 1/2 lbs Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped (may substitute with dried)
- 1 egg, beaten with
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (optional)
- 1Thaw dough in refrigerator overnight or room temperature until just soft enough to yield to pressure of a fingerprint. (I doubled Super Quick Pizza Dough and used it with success).
- 2Meanwhile prepare filling, place sausage and onion in a large skillet, cook 10 minutes stirring often breaking meat up with the side of a spoon. (If the meat doesn't want to break up -- convince it!).
- 3Pat out 1 piece of dough to flatten on a lightly floured surface. Roll dough into a 14x9 inch (or there abouts) rectangle. (Turn dough so that the long side is directly in front of you.) Sprinkle half of the cooled sausage, cheeses and parsley on the dough, leaving an inch or two from the far edge. Roll up dough, starting with the long side, enclosing like a jelly roll.
- 4Transfer roll, seam side down, to a lightly greased cookie sheet and tuck ends under.
- 5Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- 6Brush the tops of both loaves liberally with egg mixture, sprinkle with sesame seeds if you wish. (Mom always did).
- 7Bake in a moderate oven, 375°, for 20-30 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- 8Remove loaves to a serving platter and cut into 1 1/2 inch slices and serve.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hot Sausage and Mozzarella Roll
Serving Size: 1 (99 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 327.2
- Calories from Fat 224
- Total Fat 24.9 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 80.0 mg
- Sodium 1010.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 19.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: