Recipe by Mirj
This recipe was given to me by a friend whose parents live in New Mexico. She had this when she went to visit them, then served it to me when I came over for dinner. I fell in love with the heat and the taste.
Top Review by LifeIsGood
Fabulous, flavorful and healthy recipe. The only change I made was to use 3 chicken breasts, keeping all other ingredient amounts the same. There is so much flavor packed into this recipe due to the jalapeno, cilantro, chili powder. All of the ingredients complement one another beautifully. This has become an instant favorite for us!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cubed
- 1 1⁄8 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups uncooked quick-cooking brown rice
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄4 cup chopped scallion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar or 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 (10 ounce) bag corn chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Season the chicken breast cubes with 1/8 teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
- In a largish skillet, heat the oil over high heat.
- Add the chicken and cook, stirring often until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Remove to a plate.
- In the same skillet, cook the onion over medium high heat for 2 to 3 minutes, until just soft.
- Add the chicken broth and rice.
- Heat to boiling over high heat.
- Stir and reduce the heat to low.
- Cover and simmer until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is cooked, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the corn and the pinto beans.
- Simmer, covered, for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in the chicken, scallions, cilantro, jalapeno peppers, chili powder, vinegar and the remaining 1 teaspoon salt.
- Serve immediately with corn chips alongside.