Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Nothing sweet or innocent about this party snack. They're insidiously addictive, with a salty-spicy-toasty flavor. Try this recipe with cashews only... yummmmmmm! And have plenty of refreshing cold drinks on hand.
- 3⁄4 lb party mix unsalted nuts (an 11.75 ounce can works well)
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Toss nuts in egg white.
- Combine the seasonings and sprinkle over the nuts in a greased or non-stick baking sheet.
- (Alternatively, you can combine the seasonings with the egg white and coat the nuts that way).
- Bake in a 300 degree oven for 25 minutes.
I like the adjustments of the cumin and oregano, try using parchment paper in you pan to cook them. Added 2 tbs Worcestershire to a batch, cut the salt a bit if you do...was very tasty
Can't believe that I forgot to review this one!! Love these - make them as outlined. I have found that they taste better if made earlier in the day before serving in the evening.
These are really good. I used a combination of cashews, pistachios, almonds and macadamia nuts, which worked very well. Following the advice of other reviewers, I added 1/8 tsp of garlic powder and backed off on the cumin a little. Good advice, although when they were baking the garlic smelled very strong and I thought I had used too much. Not to worry - while they were in the oven, a group of friends stopped by and they gave the nuts (still slightly warm) rave reviews. I stirred them after about 15 minutes, which made them pick up more of the spices from the pan. Next time I think I'll add about 1/2 tsp more sugar. Thanks for a great recipe! KK