Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A delicious healthy salad that combines a regular cold salad with sizzling hot toppings! The variety of textures and flavors make this a top request from every single one of my friends! The recipe lends itself to throw cooking, as the number of guests has never been consistent for me. When in doubt- if all the toppings don't fit on top, serve the extras on the side - they're all stand-alones.
- COLD: Begin by filling individual salad bowls with ingredients for normal salad: fresh greens, chopped carrots, diced tomatoes.
- Peel and slice avocados into chunks.
- Add to bowls; set aside.
- OVEN: Dice new potatoes into small cubes, put on cooking sheet and dust with Pam, salt, pepper, and garlic powder (if desired).
- Bake until crisp.
- STOVETOP: Slice zucchini and squash into 1/2 cm thick circular wedges.
- Sauté over medium-high heat, tossing in salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, cut tofu into small rectangles, squeeze off extra water, and place them in a non-stick frying pan (with Pam sprayed under and over them).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sauté until golden brown, or slightly crisp on outside.
- Once hot ingredients are done, divide them onto the top of each salad (varying each bowl's contents by personal preference).
- As an extra treat, you can marinate sliced portabello mushrooms in Newman's Own Balsamic vinaigrette, then broil them along with the potatoes.
- Add them to the top of the salad for a kick!
- DRESSING: pour pre-made Italian dressing into a shakeable container (or leave it in the bottle if you're using it all), and add"a bunch" of honey-Dijon mustard.
- Shake thoroughly, and taste it until it has just the *kick* you're looking for!
- (As you can tell I'm a bit of a throw-cook).