Recipe by mollypaul
An old-timey salad dressing good on wilted lettuce or wilted spinach salads from the United States Regional Cookbook,Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat or 1 tablespoon chicken fat or 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg yolk, well beaten
- caraway seeds (optional) or celery seed (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt fat and blend in flour.
- Add vinegar and stir until mixture thickens.
- Mix sugar, mustard, salt and pepper; add to liquid.
- Cook for four minutes.
- Pour over beaten egg yolk and mix well.
- Return to heat and cook for an additional minute.
- *Variation: Add 1 cup cream or sour cream.
- For hot slaw: Combine all ingredients and simmer shredded cabbage in the mixture until tender.