Recipe by KittyKitty
This cake looks really unique, because of the batter and the plums. Other fruits can be used, depending on the season. Canned dark cherries are particularly good.
Top Review by Lola's Mama
I set off looking for a recipe that resembled a cake I had at a tea shop this week. I thought this looked close, and was delighted when I made it, to find out that it is the same! Being on a low fat/low sodium diet, and absolutely loving baked plums, this recipe was made for me! I used Italian plums, as they are in season, and had to use whole wheat flour, as I was out of white. It was delish! It's so nice to have a fruit recipe focus on the fruit, and not on adding tons of sugar. It was beyond easy, and looks quite pretty. I can imagine that it will taste just as good with any other fruit...and I plan on testing that theory out as soon as the plum cake is all gone...maybe tomorrow!
- 1 lb ripe red plum, quartered and pitted
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk powder
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2⁄3 cup self rising flour
- 2 egg whites
- confectioners' sugar, to sprinkle
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°F Lightly oil a wide, shallow ovenproof dish ( I use an Augratin dish), and add the plums.
- Pour the milk, milk powder, sugar, vanilla, flour and egg whites into a blender or food processor. Process until smooth.
- Pour the batter over the plums. bake for 25-30 minutes or until puffed and golden. Sprinkle with confectioner's sugar and serve immediately.