This recipe is a great one to serve at a brunch. The fruity, sweet taste goes well with the often served hashbrown casseroles or sausage casseroles. Of course, you can serve it anytime! I read about this recipe in one of the "Sweet Potato Queens" books, but haven't been able to find it again, so I made it up to match it as best as I could.
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained, reserving 4 tbsp juice
- 1 (16 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons pineapple juice, drained from the canned pineapple
- 1⁄2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 sleeve Ritz cracker, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Put the pineapple in a greased 1 quart casserole with the cheese. Stir.
- Mix together the sugar, flour, and pineapple juice. Blend well. Pour over the pineapple.
- In a skillet, melt the butter and add the crushed crackers. Stir until the butter is absorbed and the cracker crumbs are coated. Pour the cracker mix on top of the pineapple mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.