Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a great Beer drinking food! Also a low carb snack! Sometimes I use different vinegars, and I substitute the bologna with hot dogs!
- 1 lb bologna (trail or garlic, your choice of)
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes or 1 tablespoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional) or 1 teaspoon Splenda sugar substitute (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups white vinegar
- Cut bologna in pieces to fit in jar.
- Add garlic cloves,Pack tight.
- Heat remaining ingredients until hot.
- Fill jar with liquid ingredients.
- Put lid on and refrigerate.
- Should be ready the next day,the longer you wait,the better it is.
I love this recipe..A PA Dutch Classic!!!! Now I don't have to drive out PA to spend $5.00 on a jar!!!the only thing I did different was no cayenne & substituted Korean red pepper powder. Awesome!!!!
This was very good. I tweek it some. Did not add sugar & cut up 2 fresh jalepinos & added with. Now that was the BOMB!!!!!!!! Thanks Cindy
If I had to pick my favorite recipe in the "Zaar" website...This is it. I made homemade deer snack sticks from a seasoning kit I ordered through Cabelas. They were pretty good just plain. However, after making this brine and soaking them in it for a couple days, they were incredible. They reminded me of the hot sausages I used to buy at a local tavern years ago. I've used this recipe 3 times now, the only minor adjustments I've made is I doubled the garlic and pack either sliced pickled banana peppers or pepperchini peppers in with my sausages. Ive not had a person try them yet that didn't think they were some of the best "hot sausages" they've ever had, and nobody believes me when I tell them it's deer sausage.