Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
got this from the magazine that our local electric co-op sends out. i altered it somewhat. cooking time does not include time for water to boil in water bath canner. this is a soft jel. this is not "hot", but a sublte pepper flavor.
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 ounces liquid pectin
- red food coloring
- 1⁄2 cup crushed toasted pecans
- To toast the pecans:.
- Place a single layer on a baking sheet and bake at 300 degrees for 10 minutes. Stir often. Toasted pecans should be light brown and crisp.
- To make the jelly:.
- In a large saucepan, combine water, hot pepper sauce, lemon juice, and sugar.
- Bring mixture boil, stir constantly.
- Add pectin and a few drops of food coloring.
- Let mixture come to a full rolling boil and continue boiling for 30 seconds.
- Add pecans.
- Remove from heat and skim off any and all the foam.
- Pour into three 8-ounce sterilized canning jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace in each.
- Wipe rims of jars clean and put on pre-heated lids and screw rings just until fingertip tight.
- Process in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes.