Recipe by Mimi in Maine
This is a cold relish with "heat". This is great on burgers and sandwiches with beef, ham, or turkey. At Christmas, pack in sterile jars, and give this condiment as a gift. Everyone loves this! You don't have to cook it. If you want more heat, use a hot mustard and add more cherry peppers. I like it the way it is printed, but my son loves it hot. Enjoy!
- 1 1⁄2-1 3⁄4 lbs cabbage
- 3 medium onions
- 3 -5 tablespoons horseradish
- 1 medium green pepper
- 1⁄3 cup brown mustard (stone ground may be used)
- 3⁄4 cup catsup
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 -5 cherry peppers (in a jar)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar (enough to bond everything together)
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a food processor grind the cabbage, onions, green pepper and cherry peppers.
- Put in large bowl and add the rest of the ingredients.
- When adding the vinegar to bond together--you may need a little more.
- All the hot ingredients may be increased or decreased according to your taste.
- You may taste as you go along.
- Pack in sterile jars and keep refrigerated.