Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
From the cookbook 'Flavors of Belize'. This is spicy good! Note: the salsa/sauce is on the liquid-y side.
- 2 cups white onions, diced small
- 1 habanero, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 6 whole allspice
- 3⁄4-1 cup distilled white vinegar (reduced from 1 1/2 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Note: The allspice is added for flavoring but is not meant to be eaten-it's too strongly flavored. Remind everyone not to eat the whole allspice.
- Combine all ingredients in non-reactive bowl. Marinate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Alternatively, you can use a food processor to prepare this recipe. Place all ingredients *except* for the whole allspice in food processor and blend. Now stir in the allspice.
- Servings are estimated.