1/3 Photos of Hot Pepper Mustard
This is my version of a recipe that was in the cookbook I received from my cookbook swap partner, Aunt Paula. It is hot, spicy and sweet. I hope you enjoy as much as I do. I am going to use a good bit of this in gift baskets with a bag of pretzels.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 habanero peppers (you can change up the number of peppers to suit your taste) or 5 bell peppers, of you choice (you can change up the number of peppers to suit your taste)
- 1 1/2 cups vinegar
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 5 cups sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 (16 ounce) jar plain mustard
- 1Wash peppers and place in blender with vinegar.
- 2Blend until peppers are ground fine.
- 3In a saucepan, combine pepper/vinegar combination with salt and water.
- 4Cook until peppers are tender.
- 5Strain through cheesecloth and return liquid to large boiler.
- 6In a mixing bowl, combine sugar, flour, turmeric, dry mustard and mustard.
- 7Stir well, making a paste.
- 8Add to boiler and cook over low heat until everything is blended well.
- 9Slowly bring up to a boil, stirring constantly.
- 10It will stick if it is not stirred constantly.
- 11It will thicken as soon as it gets to a boil.
- 12Turn off and dip into prepared jars.
- 13Be sure to wipe rim of jars completely clean with warm towel and place preheated lids on jars and tighten rings.
- 14I use the inversion method of sealing the lids which is to turn upside down for 5 minutes.
- 15Many think this is unsafe, so there is no harm in processing in a water bath for 5 to 10 minutes if it will make you feel a little more comfortable.
- 16Turn upright after 5 minutes and allow to cool completely before moving.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hot Pepper Mustard
Serving Size: 1 (2603 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 809.2
- Calories from Fat 30
- Total Fat 3.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 5569.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 193.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 170.8 g
- Protein 6.3 g