This is my signature jelly. I make it for everyone and every occasion. I have even made some and tinted purple for Dreamgoddess' daughters wedding. It is very easy and can be made as hot or as mild as you want. For really hot I use 4 habarnero peppers, for milder, use in the amount called for in recipe using your preference in peppers. I just throw the peppers in the blender in large chunks with the vinegar and let the blender to the chopping for me.
- Chop peppers and put in blender with vinegar.
- Blend well and pour into large boiler.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Bring mixture to a rolling boil and boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, strain through sieve and return liquid back to a boil.
- Boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add Certo and food coloring quickly.
- Put into 6 (1/2 pint) jars and seal.
- I use heated seal method, where I heat the lids in boiling water, place on jar, secure ring tightly and turn jar upside down for 5 minutes.
- Turn jar up correctly and allow to cool completely before storing.
- Newer studies show that it is safer to seal with the hot water bath method. To do this, put into a large boiler with rack on bottom, cover with 1-2 inches of water and boil for 5 minutes. Remove to rack to cool.