Recipe by Sue Lau
Easy pastrami seasoned up in your crockpot. Make a pot full for game day and let the guys fix their own sandwiches. Of course, big guys may need bigger rolls. But for appetizers, the slider size works great.
- 16 ounces thinly sliced lean deli pastrami
- 12 ounces smithwick's irish ale or 12 ounces other dark beer
- 10 1⁄2 ounces beef consomme
- 1 small onion, slivered
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 4 ounces thinly sliced baby swiss cheese
- 8 small hard rolls or 8 small dinner rolls or 8 small rye rolls, split
- coarse ground mustard, as needed
- 1 deli barrel-style pickle, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk together ale, consomme and mustard in a regular crock pot. Add slivered onion and cooked deli pastrami.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours.
- Drain pastrami and reserve cooking liquid.
- Serve pastrami on rolls with swiss cheese, mustard and pickle slices.
- Place in toaster oven or moderate oven to crisp up the rolls and get the cheese a little melty if you like.
- Serve along with a cup of the cooking liquid as an au jus dip.