Recipe by Sue Lau
A New york deli classic. Some of these sandwiches can be HUGE and are really a marvel (and easily shared).
Top Review by Ginny Sue
Great sandwich! I made this on rye bread that I toasted before assembling the sandwich. The pastrami was very tender from simmering in the broth, so the meat just melted in the mouth. I drained the pastrami before putting on the bread so that the sandwich would not be soggy.
- 2 lbs cooked and thinly sliced beef pastrami
- 4 -8 slices havarti cheese
- coarse grind mustard (optional)
- dill pickle slices (optional)
- thinly sliced onion (optional)
- 8 -16 slices artisan rye bread or 4 -8 sandwich buns
- 1 cup beef broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Simmer pastrami in broth until hot.
- Divide meat among bread, using 4 ounces for smaller sandwich, and 8 ounces for large.
- Add cheese, mustard, pickles, and onions to taste.
- Grill sandwich until toasty and crisp if desired.
- Serve warm with chips if desired.