Recipe by Morti
Very easy fast meal to prepare. Sauce is not thick like spaghetti sauce but meant to be thin and soupy. The more peppers you use, the hotter it is. Serve with garlic bread to soak up the juice with your meal and a nice green salad to round the meal out. Add more or less spice, peppers, onion and garlic to your taste. The more garlic and onion the better. Add sliced spicy Italian links if desired.
Top Review by Karen From Colorado
I had this first at Morti's house while Alicia and I stayed with her just after moving to California. She is allergic to pork, so it didn't have meat in it but was still so delicious that we have it often now that I have my own home. Alicia and I like the sliced spicy intalian sausage links added in. This is a very popular meal in our house now. Great for a weeknight because it is so easy and quick to prepare. Try sprinkling some fresh shredded parmesan cheese over the top.
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 2 (28 ounce) cans Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 1 head garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- serrano pepper (to taste, the more you use, the hotter the sauce)
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage link, cooked according to the package instructions (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a large frying pan.
- Add onion and garlic, cook until done but not brown.
- Add both cans of tomatoes, spices, mushrooms, wine, meat (if using) and peppers to the onion and garlic mixture; simmer while pasta cooks and until peppers are dark green.
- Cook pasta according to instructions; drain well.
- Serve sauce over penne.