Recipe by sheriboren
This is an adopted recipe from Mean Chef. I have since tried this recipe, I have found that it does have a little bit of a bite to it with a very nice lemon after taste. If I were to make it again I would cut down on the hot sauce just a little. My DH thought it was a bit to hot, but to me it just had a bite. The ribs turned out perfectly tender. I also squeezed my lemons in a bowl then added to the blender, so I would not get any seeds in there. I also mixed my, Salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes together before putting on my ribs. In the very end of cooking I also put them under the broiler just for a minute or so.
Top Review by Snoes'79
I tried this recipe last week and it was good. It was a little to hot for my taste and not hot enough for my boyfriend :o) Next time i'm going to cut some of the sugar and lemon and add some BBQ sauce for a smoky flavour. Thanks for the recipe!
- 2 lemons
- 1 cup chopped sweet green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup hot sauce (I used Tabasco)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 6 lbs whole pork spareribs
- 2 cups white distilled vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Squeeze juice from lemons into blender or food processor.
- Slice lemon rinds and set aside.
- Add green pepper, onion and celery to blender and puree.
- Transfer mixture to 3-quart saucepan.
- Stir in tomato puree, sugar, hot sauce, red pepper flakes and reserved lemon rinds.
- Simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- Discard rinds (Can be refrigerated for 2 weeks).
- Rub ribs with salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes in a large glass-baking dish.
- Pour vinegar over ribs.
- Refrigerate covered at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Remove ribs from marinade and place in a shallow roasting pan.
- Roast at 350°F for 1½ hours.
- Increase oven temperature to 400°F.
- Roast for 30 minutes.
- During last 15 minutes of cooking, baste with 2 cups of the barbecue sauce.