Recipe by Leta
Delicious warm rolls with a hint of citrus, from the Lion House Recipes Collection.
Top Review by Mirj
Amazingly delicious, the perfect breakfast bread! After I zested the orange I juiced it, and added milk to that to make up the 1 cup of liquid called for in the recipe. My favorite way to eat this is with a shmear of cream cheese and then a little orange marmalade on top. My youngest Dornette, Adiya, likes them with chocolate spread inside (chocolate and orange, yummmmm!). Leta, you've added another addiction to this household. I can't wait to try this as a challah!
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 large orange zest, from
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve the yeast and pinch of sugar in 1/4 cup water.
- Heat milk, butter, 1/2 cup sugar and salt until butter is melted.
- Cool to lukewarm and beat in yeast mixture, eggs and 1 cup of flour.
- Let rise until bubbly.
- Gradually add remaining flour and beat well with spoon or mixer.
- (It is not necessary to knead.) Cover and let rise till double in bulk.
- Mix 1/2 cup softened butter, 1/2 cup sugar and grated orange rind.
- Roll dough out on lightly floured surface into rectangle and spread with sugar-orange mixture.
- (Save a little sugar mixture to sprinkle over rolls when done.) Roll up as for cinnamon rolls.
- Cut into slices and place in greased muffin tins.
- Let rise till double.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with reserved sugar mixture.