Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Yum! I love meatloaf and have been looking for the "best" meatloaf recipe. BBCGoodFood Magazine, 09/2006, is where I found this wonderful recipe originally, have tweaked it a bit.
- 2 slices fresh white bread, crusts removed
- 8 ounces ground pork
- 8 ounces ground dark chicken meat
- 1 -2 onion, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- ketchup, to taste
- 8 slices prosciutto
- Preheat oven to 370ºF.
- Put bread in processor and process to make crumbs, then tip into a bowl with the pork & chicken.
- Put the onion, garlic and herbs into the food processor and process until finely chopped.
- Add to the bowl with the parmesan and egg.
- Finely chop, 2 slices of the prosciutto and add to the mix with some salt and pepper.
- Mix well, but don't overwork, with your hands or a fork.
- Use the rest of the prosciutto to line a loaf pan.
- Spoon in an 8x4" meatloaf pan; mix and press down well.
- Flip the overhanging prosciutto over the top, then put the loaf pan into a roasting pan.
- Pour hot water from the kettle into the roasting pan to come halfway up the loaf pan and bake for 1 hr until loaf shrinks from the sides of pan.
- Cool in the pan for 10 mins, then drain off any excess liquid and turn out onto a board.
- Cut into thick slices and serve warm or cold with salad.