Recipe by Aroostook
An onion quick bread that is great with pork chops! If pressed for time, please feel free to use Bisquik and add spice for the biscuit layer.
- 2 cups onions, very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- cayenne pepper
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- In a heavy skillet, cook the onion in olive oil, over mod-low heat, until it is golden and tranluscent.
- Stir in the cayenne, salt and pepper to taste.
- Reserve the mixture.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add vegetable shortening and blend the mixture until it resembles fine meal.
- Stir in the milk, stirring until the dough is combined well.
- Press it evenly into a greased and floured 9-inch baking pan.
- (Sprinkle top with a fine layer of flour and pat lightly.) Top with the onion mixture.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, sour cream, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour this over the onion mixture, using a spatula to cover the onion mixture evenly.
- Bake in the middle of a preheated 450F oven for 20-25 minutes or until it is cooked through.
- Cut into squares and serve hot.