Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
An onion quick bread that is great with pork chops! If pressed for time, please feel free to use Bisquik and add spice for the biscuit layer.
- 2 cups onions, very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- cayenne pepper
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- In a heavy skillet, cook the onion in olive oil, over mod-low heat, until it is golden and tranluscent.
- Stir in the cayenne, salt and pepper to taste.
- Reserve the mixture.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add vegetable shortening and blend the mixture until it resembles fine meal.
- Stir in the milk, stirring until the dough is combined well.
- Press it evenly into a greased and floured 9-inch baking pan.
- (Sprinkle top with a fine layer of flour and pat lightly.) Top with the onion mixture.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, sour cream, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour this over the onion mixture, using a spatula to cover the onion mixture evenly.
- Bake in the middle of a preheated 450F oven for 20-25 minutes or until it is cooked through.
- Cut into squares and serve hot.
i made this tonite, the kids all had guests, who wound up staying for dinner, it was devoured out of the pan! rave reviews here!!!!