Prep 10 mins
Cook 9 hrs
A plain, simple, hearty and filling breakfast.
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice
- 2 tablespoons oat bran or 2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 5 cups water
- Add all ingredients to a slow cooker; stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7-9 hours, or overnight.
- Stir the cereal well and scoop into bowls.
- Serve with milk, soy milk, or light cream and honey.
This makes a stodgy kind of porridge which to my tastes was quite bland. The kids wouldn't eat it without putting on piles of sugar and it really did need that. I suggest adding more liquid and to throw in some fruit.
Nice mixture of textures and healthy too!! I like cereal that has a mixture of grains because they are more satisfying. I used the oat bran because I had it on hand. Just cooked this on the stovetop for about 35 minutes. Added some blueberries I had frozen instead of sugar.