Recipe by southern chef in louisiana
Tender cream cheese pastry sourrounding a rich, flavorful mushroom filling.
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softend
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softend
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 (8 ounce) package fresh mushrooms, minced
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat cream cheese and 1/2 cup of butter at medium speed with a mixer until creamy. Gradually add 1 3/4 cups of flour, beating well.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each portion into a ball. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in large skillet; add mushrooms and onion. Sauté until tender. Stir in sour cream and next 3 ingredients; set aside.
- Roll 1 portion of dough 1/8 inch thick on a lightly floured surface. Cut with a 2 ½-inch round cutter and place rounds on a greased baking sheet. Repeat the process with the remaining dough.
- Spoon 1 teaspoon of mushroom mixture onto 1/2 of each dough circle; moisten edges with egg and fold dough over filling. Press edges with a fork to seal. Prick tops and brush turnovers with egg. Bake at 450°F for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden. Serve hot.