Prep 20 mins
Cook 14 mins
Flaky cream cheese pastry stuffed with a mushroom-ham mixture. Perfect to have on hand over the holidays.
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese (softened)
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, minced
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1⁄2 cup minced ham
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 egg, beaten
- In large bowl with mixer at medium speed, beat cream cheese, 1 1/2 cups flour and 1/2 cup butter until smooth; shape into ball; wrap; refrigerate 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in 10 inch skillet over medium heat, in 3 tablespoons hot butter, cook mushrooms and onion until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in ham, sour cream, salt, thyme and 2 tablespoons flour; set aside.
- On floured surface with floured rolling pin, roll half of dough 1/8 inch thick.
- With floured 2 3/4 inch round cookie cutter, cut out as many circles as possible.
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Onto one half of each dough circle, place a teaspoon of mushroom mixture.
- Brush edges of circles with some egg.
- Fold dough over filling.
- With fork, firmly press edges together to seal; prick top.
- Place turnovers on ungreased cookie sheet, brush with remaining egg.
- Bake 12 to 14 minutes until golden.
- Note: You can freeze these unbaked, then pop the frozen turnovers right in the oven- just bake a bit longer.
The cream cheese pastry caught my eye so I had to try it. Glad I did! I did make several modifications to "spice" it up a bit: I added a Tbsp of Parmeson, 1 tsp of garlic powder, 1/2 tsp of fresh pepper to the mushroom mixture. I also substituted cooked bacon instead of the ham and used oregano instead of thyme - simply what I had on hand. The pastry is really tasty - although you need to roll it thin otherwise the turnover will be too doughy. I managed to get 36 turnovers using a glass as my circle. Thanks so much - this will be a standard in my freezer to pull out for quick get-togethers.