Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Vintage Southern Living; I would add salt at the end, to taste. May be salty enough without adding any.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cubed
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- Fry bacon until crisp; drain on paper towels.
- Crumble bacon and set aside.
- Drain off bacon drippings, reserving 2 tablespoons in the skillet.
- To the skillet, add mushrooms, onion, and garlic; cook, stirring often, until liquid is evaporated.
- Stir in flour, salt, and pepper; add in cream cheese, Worcestershire sauce, and soy sauce; cook, stirring constantly, until cheese melts.
- Stir sour cream and bacon into mushroom mixture; cook until thoroughly heated, stirring constantly (do not boil).
- Serve warm with assorted crackers or toast points.
I am so happy to find this recipe! A local caterer where I live always served this with toast points at all of her events, she would never share the recipe and has now passed on. I would get excited when she was doing the cooking because it would always be on the table. i can't wait to prepare it for my guests!!