Prep 7 mins
Cook 5 mins
This tea is perfect on a cold winter night and a nice alternative to hot chocolate or alcoholic drinks. Adapted from the Heart & Stroke Foundation.
- 2 decaffeinated tea bags (black tea, rooibos, green tea or herbal berry tea)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 whole star anise
- 1⁄2 vanilla pod (optional) or 1 dash vanilla extract (optional)
- 4 cups boiling water, plus more for warming the tea pot
- Place a small amount of boiling water in the tea pot to warm it up. Discard the water.
- Add tea bags, cinnamon stick, cloves and star anise to the tea pot and add the 4 cups of boiling water.
- Let steep for 3 to 5 minutes and remove the teabags.
- Let steep for 2 minutes longer and serve immediately.
- Sit back and enjoy!
This is a light flavoured lovely tea. I liked the accent of vanilla for which I used halal vanilla paste, with flecks of vanilla bean. Following Annacia's lead I made ours with rooibus & honey bush tea bags from Traditional Medicinals and followed the rest.
What a delicious delight this tea is. I'm a strong fan of anise and doubled that. My tea of choice was Rooibos with the vanilla extract. Following the timing directions given yielded a mellow spice and mild tea flavor. I had one cup and follower it with another right away. Sharon, thanks so much for another lovely keeper :D
I love this tea. I did decrease the cloves to 3 just for personal preference. It is a very soothing drink. Thanks for sharing!