Recipe by Lynda Of Virginia
This family has a thing for spicy food! One of my favorite comfort meals is meatloaf but the kids have always grumbled about "regular" meatloaf so I came up with this spicy version. It was a huge hit with all members of the family.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup quick cooking oatmeal
- 8 -10 saltine crackers, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin, dried
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 1⁄3 cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (Frank's is our favorite)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all ingredients in large bowl and mix thoroughly with hands. Spread in 9 x 13 glass baking dish, shaping so meat is higher in middle and slopes to sides so that grease does not pool on top during baking. Blend sauce ingredients together, spread on top and bake in 350 oven for approx 30-40 minutes or until internal temp reaches 160.
- **for even easier and faster prep, substitute fresh onion, green pepper and stewed tomato with can of mexican style stewed tomatoes. I use a home canned product calledd garden special if anyone is familiar with that.