1/1 Photo of Hot Milk Sponge Cake
Very easy and quick. Perfect for classic Boston Cream Pie. Cake is split in half to fill and ice.
My Private Note
9inch r ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Position rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 2Butter a 9-inch round layer pan and line with a parchment circle.
- 3In a small saucepan, heat the milk and butter to almost boiling.
- 4Set aside.
- 5Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a triple sifter.
- 6Set aside.
- 7Beat the eggs on medium-high speed in an electric mixer fitted with beaters or a whip attachment for about 2 minutes.
- 8Gradually add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, taking about 4-5 minutes to blend it in well.
- 9Scrape the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- 10The mixture will thicken and turn light yellow in color.
- 11Reduce mixer speed to medium.
- 12Add the vanilla, then pour in the hot milk IN A STEADY STREAM, taking about 10 seconds.
- 13Immediately add the dry ingredients all at once, and beat just until blended, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- 14Increase mixer speed to medium-high and beat 10 seconds.
- 15The batter will be very thin.
- 16Remove the bowl from the mixer and quickly pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- 17Bake 30-35 minutes, or until the cake begins to come away from the sides of pan and is golden brown and springy to the touch.
- 18Set on a cake rack to cool for about 10 minutes.
- 19Run a thin knife around the sides of the pan to loosen.
- 20Invert pan onto the rack sprayed with nonstick coating and peel off the parchment paper.
- 21Invert again to finish cooling right-side up.
- 22Store the plain sponge layer under a glass dome or covered with aluminum foil at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- 23For longer storage, freeze.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hot Milk Sponge Cake
Serving Size: 1 (535 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1417.7
- Calories from Fat 243
- Total Fat 27.1 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 470.6 mg
- Sodium 1730.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 264.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 151.6 g
- Protein 27.9 g