Prep 12 mins
Cook 35 mins
An old fashioned cake, that's been around for years. So easy and so good.
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 10 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat eggs on high until thick, (5 minutes).
- Gradually add sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Combine flour and baking powder.
- Add to batter and beat on low until smooth.
- Add vanilla.
- In saucepan, heat milk and butter just until the butter melts.
- Add to batter, beat until combined.
- Pour into a well-greased 13x9 pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Test for doneness.
I halved the recipe to make a dozen cupcakes for Easter (which was plenty of batter - actually filled one small heart pan too) and these were great! very easy due to the mixing method and the cupcakes had a great texture - I had the one that was left over from Easter dinner, on Tuesday evening and it was still perfectly moist and yummy. Next time I will reduce the sugar just a little; I did keep the vanilla the same and enjoyed the flavor. I will definitely make this again, and I think the thin batter will work well in really detailed pans so I am looking forward to trying that. Edit: I've just realised I read teaspoons of butter as Tablespoons! I'll have to try the real version now.
A very simple recipe, and a great tasting cake. I made one variation to the recipe in that I added about a half cup of shredded coconut to the mix and so I had a cocunut milk cake which was very tasty.
Made this cake today, loved it. Texture was wonderful. Will cut down the sugar though next time. Thanks for a great recipe.