Recipe by Lene
This is just like a mexican shepards pie. Use Fresh chillies if you can not get a hold of pickled chillies.
- 120 g quick cook polenta
- 1 egg
- 450 ml milk
- 120 g cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 large red onions, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 50 g pickled hot red chilies, roughly chopped
- 350 g quorn mincemeat
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 400 g kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 250 ml vegetable stock
- grated lime, juice and zest of
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat together the polenta, egg milk, cheese and add 2 Tbsp of the coriander. Season and leave to stand for 20 minutes to allow the polenta to swell.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onions and garlic for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened slightly. Add 25g of the chillies, the quorn mince, tomatoes, tomato puree, mixed pulses, stock, lime zest and juice and remaining coriander. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Season to taste and pour into an ovenproof dish.
- Preheat the grill to high. Stir the remaining chillies into the polenta mixture and spoon over the mince mixture to cover. Grill for 4-5 minutes until golden.