Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
A recipe from Wheat Montana Farms. By Sherry Chidwick of Stevensvill, MT
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 medium granny smith apple, chopped (or other tart variety)
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 2 cups wheat montana old fashioned seven-grain cereal
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons wheat montana flax seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Bring water, salt, apples, raisins and cranberries to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Add cereal.
- Stir and reduce heat to medium.
- Stir in walnuts, flax seed and cinnamon.
- Cook for five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with brown sugar and a little milk.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
What a great way to start the day. The fruits and whole grains are great together. I used Sunny Boy, Canada's multi-whole grain cereal, a Gala apple (what I had) and dried cherries for the cranberries just because I like them better. The times were right on, I was just under 15 mins start to finish. This would be a top year round breakfast offering. :D