From "Caribbean Carnival", Good Food Magazine, February 1987. Prep times does not include 2 hours to cool and chill.
- 2 slightly ripe mangoes, pitted, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 3⁄4 cup fresh lime juice (about 5 limes)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 fresh small red chilies, finely chopped, with seeds
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons lime peel, julienned
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- Place all ingredients in large noncorrosive saucepan and heat, stirring occasionally, over high heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 25-35 minutes.
- Remove chutney from heat and let cool to room temperature. Transfer to serving bowl and refrigerate covered 1 hour.
- Serve cold with roast pork or chicken, curried dishes, or fish. Store covered in refrigerator up to 1 month.