Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is courtesy of Martha Stewart and submitted by minitindel. It is a recipe very similar to the famous hot lemon lava cakes and its lemon taste is wonderful. Enjoy them.
- 1⁄8 cup unsalted butter, room temperature, for custard cups
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons lemon zest, grated (from 1 lemon)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup milk (I used evaporated milk)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Set a kettle of water to boil. Butter six 6-ounce custard cups and place in a dish towel-lined baking dish or roasting pan. (Dish towel prevents cups from sliding when moving the roasting pan.)
- In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar until light; whisk in flour. Gradually whisk in lemon juice, then milk and lemon zest.
- With an electric mixer, beat egg whites and salt until soft peaks form. Add to lemon batter and fold in gently with a whisk (batter will be quite liquid).
- Divide batter among prepared custard cups, place baking dish in oven and fill with boiling water to reach halfway up sides of cups.
- Bake until puffed and lightly browned (but pudding is still visible in bottom), 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve slightly warm or at room temperature, dusted with confectioners’ sugar.