I got this out of a book I borrowed from the library and made it for a quick weekend snack for the family. Very popular.
- Lightly beat together the egg, caster sugar and vanilla essence in a shallow dish and set aside.
- Spread the jam on to one slice of the bread and then place the other slice on top, pressing together firmly.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over a medium-low heat.
- Soak the sandwich in the egg mixture until all of the egg has been absorbed.
- Fry in the butter for 1-2 minutes each side until golden brown.
- Slice the sandwich in half and sprinkle with the extra caster sugar.
- You may serve with a scoop of ice cream, yoghurt or a dollop of whipped cream or all by itself.
This was good but to rich more me. I added a little peanut butter to it. I liked the outside of the bread. I may try this with an egg inside and very little jam. Thanks for the experience to try something new.