Recipe by Evie*
I got this out of a book I borrowed from the library and made it for a quick weekend snack for the family. Very popular.
Top Review by Diana Johnson || EatingRichly.com
This was a great start. I used slices of a sourdough loaf and added cream cheese. Also put a tiny bit of almond extract in the egg which went great with the raspberry. Next time I will add a slice of turkey!
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar, plus extra to sprinkle
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 slices white bread (or brioche)
- 1 -2 tablespoon of your favourite jam (I used raspberry)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly beat together the egg, caster sugar and vanilla essence in a shallow dish and set aside.
- Spread the jam on to one slice of the bread and then place the other slice on top, pressing together firmly.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over a medium-low heat.
- Soak the sandwich in the egg mixture until all of the egg has been absorbed.
- Fry in the butter for 1-2 minutes each side until golden brown.
- Slice the sandwich in half and sprinkle with the extra caster sugar.
- You may serve with a scoop of ice cream, yoghurt or a dollop of whipped cream or all by itself.