Prep 15 mins
Cook 17 mins
A filling and flavorful veggie sandwich.
- 1 loaf Italian bread (or French bread)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, julienned
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and julienned
- 1⁄2 medium sweet red pepper, cored, seeded, and julienned
- 1 medium zucchini, julienned
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground (I use peppercorn melange)
- 1⁄4 lb muenster cheese, sliced (low sodium)
- Preheat broiler.
- Slice the Italian bread in half lengthwise. Scoop out the center of each half.
- Place the two halves, cut side up, on a baking sheet. Place in oven, 4 inches from the heat, and broil for 1 minute or until lightly toasted. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a 10 inch skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, uncovered, until soft (about 5 minutes).
- Add the carrots, red pepper, zucchini and cook, covered, until the carrots are tender (about 8 minutes).
- Stir in the tomato sauce and spices. Simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes.
- Spoon the vegetable mixture into the bottom half of the bread. Top with cheese.
- Broil for 1 minute, or until the cheese is melted (watch carefully).
- Remove from baking sheet and transfer to a cutting board or other surface. Top with the upper half of the bread.
- Cut into 4 sandwiches and serve immediately.