Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
I am always looking for new things to do with my deer meat. I found a Hot Italian Sausage recipe and altered it for venison. You can use it in any recipe that calls for hot Italian Sausage. It will give your pasta that little extra kick.
- 2 lbs ground venison
- 2 lbs ground pork
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 7 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 3 1⁄4 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 7 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- Mix meats together.
- In a seperate container mix dry ingredients thoroughly.
- Combine meat and spices, mix thoroughly.
- Add water.
- Can be used right away, but for best results, put it into an air tight container and set in refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Can be stuffed into Medium Casings or used in bulk form depending on your recipe.
Wow!!! My whole family loves this! Guests rave! I added 4 teaspoons rosemary and 7 teaspoons oregano and this is definitely a keeper. I also grind my fennel because I like it better ground so there are no seeds.
I made this recipe. My butcher offered to get me really good pork mince to go with my venison. it turned out fabulous. Sausage is easier to make than you think you should try it! I cannot commend this recipe enough, easy, and incredibly tasty.
The seasoning was perfect. I can't agree with Gloria about "no fat", since there is ground pork in the recipe. However, to reduce the fat, I used 3 pounds venison and 1 pound ground port. Still delicious and less fat. Next time I will try reducing the pork even more.