Recipe by Baby Kato
This dish was created for RSC 16. I hope that you will enjoy this hearty soup. I add a little sugar to help cut the acidity of the tomatoes.
Top Review by Leggy Peggy
Pure comfort food. Today was cold and rainy in most of Australia, so I fired up the wood stove and searched for a great soup recipe. This was perfect. I had the ingredients on hand and a great source of heat. My only changes were to add a sliced leek, an extra cup of beef stock and a 1/2 teaspoon each of dried basil and oregano. You mentioned using hot Italian sausages. Mine weren't hot, and I contemplated adding a couple of chopped dried chilles, but forgot to do so. I would probably add them in future, but this is a fantastic recipe either way. Thanks so much for posting.
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 453.59 g Italian sausage, hot, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, medium, sweet, diced
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 236.59 ml fingerling potato, diced
- 2 carrots, large, thinly sliced
- 1 zucchini, small, diced
- 425.24 g beef broth (1 1/2 cans)
- 396.89 g stewed tomatoes (1 can, not drained)
- 141.74 g wine, dry, red
- 4.92 ml sugar, white (optional)
- 118.29 ml cavatappi pasta, uncooked
- 236.59 ml lima beans, rinsed & drained
- 59.14 ml arugula, rinsed
- 1.23 ml oregano, dried
- 3-4 basil leaves, finely sliced
- 1.23 ml salt, sea, fine
- 1.23 ml black pepper, freshly ground
- 59.16 ml parmesan cheese, grated (garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, turn the heat to medium and.add the olive oil.
- Cook the Italian sausages in the hot oil, stirring occasionally until browned then remove the sausage and allow to cool.
- Next add to the oil the garlic, onion, shallot, potato, and carrot, cooking until the onion is soft.
- Now add the beef broth, stewed tomatoes, red wine and sugar and bring to a steady boil.
- Once it is boiling add the zucchini and lima beans, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for an hour.
- Lastly you will add the sausage, pasta and arugula into the pot and simmer until the pasta is tender.
- Stir in the oregano and chopped basil, mixing well, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour into bowls and garnish with freshly shredded parmesan cheese.
- We had this soup with Italian buns and a nice simple fruit salad for a lovely dinner, it was very filling .