Prep 1 hr
Cook 3 hrs
Comfort food at its best. Make sure you have a baugette to dip into the soup.
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 2 cups onions, coarsely chopped
- 6 -8 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups beef stock
- 2 cups carrots, thinly sliced
- 14 1⁄2 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 cubed zucchini
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 lb tortellini
- italian parsley
- Remove and discard casings from the sausage.
- In a large Dutch oven, brown sausage over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Set sausage aside.
- Add onion and garlic to the drippings in the pan; cook, stirring constantly, until onion is tender about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste to onion and garlic mixture for about 1 minute.
- Now add the the wine and let cook for 1 minute.
- Now add the rest of the liquids - beef stock and tomato's - Stir well to incorporate.
- Add the carrots, zucchini, bell pepper, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Stirring well.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to med.-low, and simmer, uncovered for 45 minutes.
- Add tortellini and parsley, stirring well.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes or until tortellini is tender. Adjust spices to taste.
- Ladle soup into individual soup bowls. Sprinkle each serving with cheese.