Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
An easy dinner sandwich. Served it with onion and peppers.
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 4 hamburger buns
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- In a small saucepan mix ingredients for sauce: tomato sauce, basil, crushed red pepper, and garlic powder.
- Shape sausage into patties. Fry.Add mozzarella cheese slices to each patty cover until melted.
- In same skillet, cook onions and peppers and set aside.
- To each bun add patty with cheese and one fourth the onions and peppers. Cover with bun half.
- Serve each sandwich with 1/4 cup sauce, dip sandwiches in sauce.
This is a WOW burger. I used hot Italian sausage mix, didn't add onion to the peppers because I love raw sweet onions and had them in my salad. I used lite mozzarella chesse . We loved every tasty morsel