Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 8 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 8 slices French bread (3/4-inch thick)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- In a saucepan, combine the tomato sauce, basil, pepper flakes, and garlic powder; bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Decrease heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, shape sausage into four thin oval patties.
- In a skillet, cook patties over medium heat until no longer pink; remove and keep warm.
- In the drippings, saute onion until tender.
- Place a slice of cheese on four slices of bread; top each with a sausage patty, onion, and remaining cheese.
- Top with remaining bread.
- Butter the outsides of sandwiches.
- Cook on a griddle or in a large skillet over medium heat until both sides are golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Serve with herbed tomato sauce for dipping.
This is a winner - Delish flavor, nice and peppy. I used Hot Italian sausage mix and used fresh ingredients from the garden for the sauce. The multi grain bread that I used got all crunchy and delicious. Love the recipe